Rob's Genealogy

Lewis and Regenhardt of Southeast Missouri and Related Families

Edward F. Regenhardt


He began a business career in early 1892. Edward formed a partnership with Charles Bode under the firm name Regenhardt and Bode, Contractors for Brickwork. Their office was on the second floor over the Burgess Store on Main Street. From 1892 he was engaged as a contractor and builder, with headquarters at Cape Girardeau. As a contractor his outstanding accomplishment was the academic building of the Southeast Missouri State Teachers' College at Cape Girardeau, admittedly one of the finest educational buildings in the United States. His other work included construction of granitoid pavement walks and curbs for the First National Bank, the Sturdivant Bank, Dr. S.S. Harris' house on Themis Street, and on the Normal School grounds (1897). He built the stone railroad depot in Kennett, MO (1897), the school house in Bonne Terre, MO (1898), a "big business house" in Greenville, MO (1895). He also contracted to build numerous brick residences in Cape, Jackson, and Sikeston.

In 1901, he purchased five acres consisting of a barren hill just west of the Normal campus. He started a quarry operation on the site and was soon shipping large blocks of marble to Mephan and Kline in St. Louis. Soon after, the Normal School Regents contracted with Mr. Regenhardt to build the new science hall just northeast of the main building out of the quarried marble. After fire destroyed the old Normal, the Regents gave the contract to Mr. Regenhardt to erect a Practice Hall (now the Home Ec building), same size as the science hall, 114 X 67 and 3 stories high. In 1903 he was awarded the contract to build the new Academic Hall fronting 230 feet by 197 feet in depth and 3 stories high, for a bid of $174,840.

Other Features

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding v. 13.1.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2022.

Maintained by Rob Lewis. | Data Protection Policy.